5 Fast Facts About Alcohol That Will Blow Your Mind
- 75% of esophageal cancers are attributable to chronic excessive alcohol consumption.
- Chronic alcohol consumption is associated with 10% increase in a woman’s risk of breast cancer.
- Heavy chronic drinking contributes to approximately 65% of all cases of pancreatitis.
- There are more deaths and disabilities each year in the U.S. from substance abuse than from any other cause.
- Among emergency room patients admitted for injuries, 47% tested positive for alcohol and 35% were intoxicated; of those who were intoxicated, 75% showed signs of chronic alcoholism.